The overall objective of the EU funded SWITCH-Asia programme is to promote sustainable and inclusive growth, contribute to the economic prosperity and poverty reduction in Asia and Central Asia and to a transition towards a low-carbon, resource-efficient and circular economy.
Launched in 2007, the programme has achieved more than a decade of progress on SCP in 24 countries in the region. This has been possible through the joint efforts of the three SWITCH-Asia components:
- The Regional Policy Advocacy Component (RPAC) – implemented by United Nations Environment Programme.
- The Sustainable Consumption and Production Facility – implemented by Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ), the Institute for Global Environmental Strategies (IGES) and adelphi.
- The SWITCH-Asia Grants Programme – directly managed by the Directorate-General for International Cooperation and Development of the European Commission.
- To shift mindsets and inspire action towards a circular economy across young professionals in Asia.
- To increase knowledge and understanding of circular economy by future decision-makers.
- To enhance a network of junior professionals across Asia in the field of circular economy.
- To showcase circular economy policies and best practices.
The Academy will be conducted in five days and will cover the following topics :
- Why are we talking about CE?
- The concept of CE – origins and theoretical background
- Policies – the role of regulations and policies for CE
- Innovation and technology – the role of innovation and technology for CE
- Business models – innovative business models for CE
- Finance – innovate financial instruments for CE
- Behavioral change and communication – how behavioral change and communication relate to achieving a CE
- Indicators – how to define CE performance
- Case studies from Europe and Asia will be used to illustrate every topic.
The Academy stimulates the sharing of experiences, cases studies and stories from Asia and the EU on circular economy. It includes:
- Interdisciplinary, project-based, and participatory approaches.
- The possibility of being part of a growing network of young professionals working with circular economy in Asia.
- Economy travel, accommodation and course registration will be covered.
Candidates meeting the following criteria could apply to participate in the 2019 SWITCH-Asia Leadership Academy Leadership for Circular Economy programme:
- Citizen or national of one of the following countries: Cambodia, China, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Mongolia, Myanmar, Philippines, Thailand, Vietnam, Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan, and Sri Lanka;
- To be one of the following: i) Junior Government professionals; ii)Junior private sector professionals; iii)Junior professionals from the civil society sector;
- To be already working on a topic related to Circular Economy.
- Candidates are required to have completed as a minimum a first university degree in environment, development, engineering, policy, economics or relevant discipline. Completion of postgraduate degree and/or professional training relevant to sustainable development would be considered favorably.
How To Apply:
To apply for the Circular Economy programme, participants should:
- Complete online application form
- Prepare an application letter explaining the circular economy topic they are currently working on and how they plan to Apply the knowledge of this Academy to this work (1-3 pages)
- Provide a brief CV (one page)
- Provide a copy of degrees obtained
Application Deadline: 13 October 2019
If you can’t access the online registration form, please download
the offline form.