The International Committee of the Cross is proud to organize for the third time a writing competition in Arabic to engage the Arabic speaking scholars on relevant IHL discussions and to provide an academic platform for legal debates.
The ICRC is an independent, neutral organization ensuring humanitarian protection and assistance for victims of armed conflict and other situations of violence. It takes action in response to emergencies and at the same time promotes respect for international humanitarian law and its implementation in national law.
The work of the ICRC is based on the Geneva Conventions of 1949, their Additional Protocols, its Statutes – and those of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement – and the resolutions of the International Conferences of the Red Cross and Red Crescent.
Awards and Prizes:
The ICRC has the honor to offer 3 levels of awards:
- The First place winner will receive a certificate and 1500 USD. In addition, the article will be considered for publication by the ICRC.
- The second place winner will receive Certificate and 1000 USD
- The third place winner will receive Certificate and 750.
This competition is open to Arabic Speaking countries and States.
I. Preparation of Manuscripts
Manuscripts should be submitted in Word format in 12 pt Times New Roman font with 1.5 line spacing (including for the footnotes).
Length: Manuscripts submitted should be approximately 10,000 words, footnotes included.
Abstract: All manuscripts should be accompanied by a short abstract (less than 100 words) summarizing the main content/argument of the article.
Keywords: A few keywords should be identified for easy web search and referencing
CV: All manuscripts should be accompanied by a short biography (one or two sentences per author) describing the current function/affiliation of the author.
Highlighting: No highlighting (bold, italics, underlined) should be used within the text body, except for italics for foreign language terms: e.g. a limine. Foreign organizations should not be set in italics.
Headings: Please do not use more than 3 different levels of headings.
II. Internet References:
- For references available on the internet please indicate “available at:” followed by the full website link.
- The first internet reference should indicate the date of the last visit for all subsequent references. Examples at : ICRC Resources
III. The editorial basics
How To Participate:
Deadline of Submission: 6 December 2019.